State test results: 56.6 percent of Gaithersburg High School failed English language arts
The Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers, or PARCC, is administered to third- through eighth-graders in Maryland, testing them in reading and math based on Common Core standards.
According to Gaithersburg High School English language scores, 31.4 percent met expectations and 12 percent exceeded them. Students whose results are in either category are considered ready to move on to the next level and are most prepared for college or work.
The Maryland State Department of Education did not provide exact figures for some groups of Gaithersburg High School students because those groups included less than 5 percent of students who tested in the school. The analysis includes a range where exact totals can't be calculated.
Another 19.9 percent approached expectations, while 15.6 percent partially met expectations and 21 percent did not meet them. Students who scored in these categories are not ready for the next level.
The school's results surpassed state averages. In Maryland, 31.9 percent of students met expectations on the reading and writing tests and 9.4 percent exceeded them, putting the percentage of students who passed at 41.3 percent. The rest – 58.7 percent – failed, with about 22.9 percent of students approaching expectations, 17.8 percent partially meeting expectations and 18 percent not meeting them.